PLANNED RELEASE DATE: FEB 01. 2019
Heating and cooling with Peltier Technology.
In early 2008, GHL introduced an innovative Peltier-technology based climate control unit designed for aquariums. The release of the first generation ProfiLux Temperature Control (PTC), enthused customers around the world.
Growing demand, technical developments in Peltier technology, and change in framework conditions lead to the development of a successor: ProfiLux Temperature Control 2.
How it works
PTC is designed to work in conjunction with a ProfiLux controller (required) and is controlled via a 1-10V connection. PTC performs its temperature control task by heating or cooling the water that flows through it. Depending on the difference between tank temperature and desired value, the PTC will automatically regulate the needed amount of power between 0% – 100% so that accurate and stable water temperature can be achieved. PTC always draws just as much power as necessary to maintain the temperature.
With this level of control, you can avoid the usual temperature jumps caused by conventional coolers and their so-called switching hysteresis. The result is a gentle temperature curve that simulates natural processes. As the controller measures the current temperature, it tells the PTC at which intensity it should heat or cool.
- Heats and cools using Peltier technology – Electric power is converted directly into heat or cold
- Highly efficient and long-lasting – Peltier elements are only operated at partial load
- Continuous power control – Automatically adjusts needed power based on actual temperature
- Significantly quieter and more compact than conventional compressor chillers
- Integrated smart fan-control prevents unnecessary operating noise
- Heat exchanger made from V4A stainless steel, PTC heat sinks utilize a copper core.
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater aquariums
- Superior safety – Fan speed and heat sink temperature are constantly monitored
- Highly reliable – No moving parts except the included fans
- Environmentally friendly – No ozone-depleting chemicals and no coolant necessary
- Easy to install
- Available with 2 to 6 Peltier elements
If needed, several devices can be connected in parallel
Models and PTC Size Recommendation
|PTC models||Average temperature decrease|
|Type / Power||5°C/9.1°F||3°C/5.5°F||2°C/3:6°F||5°C/9.1F||3°C/5.5°F||2°C/3.6°F|
|PTC2-2 / 160 W||60||115||160||16||30||42|
|PTC2-3 / 240 W||100||160||240||26||42||63|
|PTC2-4 / 350 W||130||210||300||34||55||79|
|PTC2-6 / 480 W||190||310||450||50||82||118|
|max. aquarium capacity in liter||max. aquarium capacity in U.S. gal.|
The numbers shown above should only be used as guidelines for choosing the correct PTC2. Actual size needed will depend on many factors, e.g. aquarium specifications, placement and environmental conditions.
Please note that the PTC is NOT suitable for aquariums that need to be continuously cooled. Consistently elevated temperatures typically result from inefficient lights, pumps, and/or warm ambient room temperature.
PTC is ideal for modern aquariums that utilize energy efficient equipment such as LED lighting and DC flow pumps and are exposed to average room temperatures.